Landbase Locations and Fullmoon Effects Advice Sought

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Re: Landbase Locations and Fullmoon Effects Advice Sought

Post by VooDoo » Mon May 07, 2012 10:38 am

MIKER wrote:I have caught good fish during full moon periods , but last night i was fishing the jewies "full moon" using live Mullet & no even a tap . :o :down: :)

Thanks Miker for the big tip on the Jewies. Definitely will still be bringing out the big rods and reels when the fullmoon comes to play next. I was doing hoping my big rod takes off on the weekend but still it didn't but that's fishing. Can't win on every occassion :grin:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon May 07, 2012 10:43 am

Andoki wrote:Yep, and actually this is the beauty of fishing that everyone has the right to do whatever he/she believes it works better for him/her, this is in terms of timing, bait, location, rigs and gears ... isn't?

Only problem I see with that, is if you don't take advice from others, then you may be waiting for a long time to catch something. If someone fishes the area regularly and has success 90% of the time, to always listen to any and all advice they may offer ;) This is my view anyway.

Voodoo, the full moon is an awesome time to fish, never cancel a trip because of it, always go with a positive attitude, it makes a hell of a difference also.

VooDoo

Post by VooDoo » Mon May 07, 2012 10:48 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:From what I have observed is that fishermen have patterns too. Go to any pier and there will be fishermen leaving as others are arriving.
Agreed with Andoki that this is the beauty of fishing itself :grin: Each of us all have our own peculiar pattern and fishing behaviour shaped by years of experience. Just learning about all the theory and having trial and errors and this stage. Will keep trying and testing out all the theories above. More importantly, will try to enjoy doing it at the same time. :super:

VooDoo

Post by VooDoo » Mon May 07, 2012 10:53 am

Brett wrote:
Andoki wrote:Yep, and actually this is the beauty of fishing that everyone has the right to do whatever he/she believes it works better for him/her, this is in terms of timing, bait, location, rigs and gears ... isn't?

Only problem I see with that, is if you don't take advice from others, then you may be waiting for a long time to catch something. If someone fishes the area regularly and has success 90% of the time, to always listen to any and all advice they may offer ;) This is my view anyway.

Voodoo, the full moon is an awesome time to fish, never cancel a trip because of it, always go with a positive attitude, it makes a hell of a difference also.
Thanks Brett for the encouragement :grin: Will takes the hint on board. Agree with you re positive attitude. If fishing trips become a drag, then might as well stay home and enjoy the luxury that it offers.

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Mon May 07, 2012 11:24 am

Yep Brett, I sort of agree with you on this ... me myself waiting for my first Gummy for so long now ... I think I should take you for your offer of helping me catching my first Gummy, how is that ;)

CremeDeLaCreme
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CremeDeLaCreme » Wed May 09, 2012 12:49 pm

I am starting to think the full moon is a bad thing for fishing prospects...

I went to Brighton pier early last week and caught 4 whiting and 2 size pinkies.

Went back to Brighton 2 nights ago on the full moon for not a touch in 4 hours.

Was possibly the most boring 4 hours of my life...

Will be avoiding fishing a full moon in the future!
Addicted to fishing since 1973

slinga

Post by slinga » Wed May 09, 2012 1:14 pm

CremeDeLaCreme wrote:I am starting to think the full moon is a bad thing for fishing prospects...

I went to Brighton pier early last week and caught 4 whiting and 2 size pinkies.

Went back to Brighton 2 nights ago on the full moon for not a touch in 4 hours.

Was possibly the most boring 4 hours of my life...

Will be avoiding fishing a full moon in the future!
I dont think it makes a difference...
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Wed May 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Actually, we just cannot generalize the results of full moon fishing on all species of fish!!!
Generally, there are some species are more motivated on full moon like Gummies, Whiting, leather jacket and eels, and many of the freshwater species, while some other species prefer darker nights like Bream, Mullet and Perch; and some doesn’t make any different like Pinkies and Trevally.
Having said that, the full moon is not the only element that motivate the fish for biting, there is always a chance to catch a fish that prefer darker nights in full moon nights under the piers or frothy water, if you present a good bait on a time that they are hungry or just in the mood 
On the other hand, full moon affects two major things, 1) the currents on the incoming/outgoing high tide and 2) the amount of light that reflected under the water (for example it will be different if you are fishing in reef beds from sand area), hence the different rigs, sinkers and the usage of beads.
Therefore, in nutshell, the theory is not wrong, but it depends on the application.
Cheers All

Return to “General”