Reeling rubbish

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
robbo101

Reeling rubbish

Post by robbo101 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:17 am

If you could take 2 minute to read this I would much appreciate it.
After getting rid of the misses overseas for the next 3 weeks (she is going to compete in the world dance masters!!!!) I was pretty excited to head out to my local trout lake and catch myself a little rainbow for my efforts. HOWEVER is was so disappointed to see the amount of rubbish people had left behind!
It blew my tiny mind that some people leave there rubbish behind. I know its certainly not everybody that does it, but it makes the rest of us look like we don't care.
Bottles, bait containers, cigarett buts, streamers?, food wrappers, bottles, bait packets, cans, lure/tackle packets, bottle caps, thongs, broken chairs, lures(haha thank you!!), bottles, fishing line, bait packets, busted fishing rods, tin cans, oh and did I mention bottles and bait packets..... take them home you filthy people!
Its not just the lake I fished at yesterday, it seems every time I go out I find peoples rubbish left behind.
Sometimes I will do my bit and pick it up but other times I really think I'm wasting my time because there is so much.
I don't even understand it sometimes, what is the thought process behind leaving your filth behind? yes sure every now and then the wind might pick up some plastic or something you had intended to take home and blow it in the water making it impossible to retrieve, but thats no excuse for %99 of the rubbish around.
So now to ask my fellow fisher men and fisher ladies. Next time you go out to wet a line, please please please take your rubbish home. You are doing everyone a favour by looking after the places we fish at. Making a better environment for others to go back to. Most importantly a better environment for the fish and other critters to breed and survive in, leaving our waterways healthy with loads of fish for everyone.
If this makes just one person change there mind about leaving there rubbish behind then I have done what I intended to do. for those of you who always take your rubbish home then pat yourself on the back and a big thumbs up from me, your a top person. :a_goodjob:

If you have got to this point and agree with what I have said and are fed up with it like me could you please leave a comment below to get this post more popular therefore more people will see it an hopefully make just a little difference.

Righto time to wet a line, I'm off

Rob.

moeee

Re: Reeling rubbish

Post by moeee » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:48 am

I have noticed that sort of mentality all my Life.
"Somebody oughta do something about that"
OR
"There oughta be a Law against that"

WE all know the right thing and try to do it.
Some either don't OR don't understand or comprehend the impact.

If the rubbish concerns you , just take a few deep breaths and bend your back and spend half an hour picking up some of the mess.
If everyone that finds the mess abhorrent , in half an hour , the mess will be gone.
Pigs are Pigs and they will ALWAYS be Pigs.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:57 am

I really wonder how their houses and backyards look like.

After hearing that the local council is planning to do something (ban fishing on the area) to stop the rubbish from piling up I cleaned up the place I fish 3 weeks ago hoping an inspection of the place will change the council's mind. Bottles, bait bags, discarded lines, cans, etc. I managed to fill up a 56 L bin liner bag with rubbish. While I was cleaning up, other fishos were just drinking and smoking. Went back last night and found the place full of rubbish again. I collected a shopping bag full of rubbish again last night. They were very smelly stuff but someone has to do something to clean up the place or the council will.

These pigs are ruining the fishing for all of us.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

moeee

Post by moeee » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:40 am

Well done FishCador.
How miserable you must have felt when returning to the site last night.
And how wonderful of you to clean up the mess yet again.

Perhaps contacting the Council to instead of putting up "No Fishing" signs , maybe putting up "Please take your rubbish Home" signs.

widgeon58

Post by widgeon58 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 am

In some of the more popular spots councils' put in separate recycling bins, maybe they could post the $ value of the trash from the bin each year and say that amount was spent on this "new feature in the park worth x$'s.

That way the users of the park could see by doing the right thing, they are actually putting something back into the park they are using, this idea might not make sense $ wise, but at least its a thought on how we might combat this problem.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:05 pm

there are bins provided where pigs can put their rubbish on their way back to their cars but I guess pigs don't know what bins are because they live in places dirtier than the bins.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:13 pm

The same thing happens where I fish along the yarra and one of the main reasons I stopped fishing plenty river, it's a good 10-15 min walk through the bush to where I go on the yarra and I get there and see drink cans and bait containers everywhere. It sh*ts me to tears!
It's not that hard, if you can carry it in then stop being a disrespectful grub and carry it back out with you!

I was pretty happy when a local stuck a sign on one of the trees at the entrance saying to 'stop being pigs and take your crap home'

fooie69

Post by fooie69 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Ill have to agree with u guys.. Everywhere I fish i see rubbish.. it gets me so angry.

If they can bring all that crap there, whats so hard about taking it away with them and leaving an area the way they found it..

where ever n when ever I fish. I make sure I put my rubbish in the bin. From ciggy butts to whatever I take there. Ill either bin it or take it home.

I know u can report people flicking rubbish outta their cars but what about individuals?

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:00 pm

yep everywhere i fish there rubbish. piers, plenty river, yarra river, yarrambat lake etc... when i go down to yarrambat i bring a plastic shopping bag down with me and fill that up. occasionally i walk past someone fishing who had clearly chucked his rubbish on the ground. i pick it up, put it in the bag and stare at them. and they give off quite a funny reaction actually.

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Murlz » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:31 pm

CAN I GET A "AMEN"
Seriously one of my pet hates. We go to these places partly because of the ambiance only to find dirty scum rats have left their crap everywhere. It's easier to take home than it is to bring it FFS. :wall: :angryfire: (rant complete)
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

Return to “General”