Covid-19 discussion

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Covid-19 discussion

Post by 4liters » Sun May 10, 2020 8:41 pm

Boonanza wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:35 pm
DougieK wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:28 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:23 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:57 pm
cobby wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:11 pm

I'd almost bet suicide rates in the coming 24 months will be substantially higher in Victoria than any other state....
I can bet the jump in suicide rates just over these few months and the next 6 months will double that of the deaths of covid.. How cares about that though
I would like to think that the statistics for suicide rate for this year will also include the fires at the start of the year, so the numbers are already skewed and you can't solely blame covid as the only factor for the jump in numbers.
The effects are still being felt down the country towns where the visitors are still.not allowed even though the fires are long gone.

2020 is not going to be a year to remember for many I'd say!
Did we ever find out how much of the money the larger charities took actually ended up in the hands of someone who needed it? I suspect less than 30%
I have never donated to the so called bigger charities and we normally give to the CWA that way we know 100% goes wherever it's needed.
There's a website somewhere that shows the 'efficiency' of each charity i.e. the percentage of donations that actually make it to people in need rather than spend on administration etc.

I heard food banks are a good place to donate now as there's a lot of people who have fallen through the cracks of the various support packages announced in the last few months and there's been a lot of demand for food hampers.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:28 pm

They don't publish the suicide deaths or all the small businesses that have closed down, families that are going through a really hard time or how many people are close to losing their homes.
I'd almost bet suicide rates in the coming 24 months will be substantially higher in Victoria than any other state....
I can bet the jump in suicide rates just over these few months and the next 6 months will double that of the deaths of covid.. How cares about that though
It probably has. I was talking a client who is a psychologist and she reckons calls have gone through the roof.

What people need to understand though is the cost in lives of not shutting the economy down would be a lot higher than the number of people who take their own lives as a result of shutting it down.
Hit the nail on the head right there mate!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 10, 2020 8:45 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:28 pm

They don't publish the suicide deaths or all the small businesses that have closed down, families that are going through a really hard time or how many people are close to losing their homes.
It probably has. I was talking a client who is a psychologist and she reckons calls have gone through the roof.

What people need to understand though is the cost in lives of not shutting the economy down would be a lot higher than the number of people who take their own lives as a result of shutting it down.
I don't think i agree with you on the second part 4liters. All this supposed number fudging from other countries and then me actually knowing 7 people who have had the virus but did not spread it to any of their family members they went home to, or work colleges they were with for at least 3 days before they knew they had it coughing and sneezing just thinking it was the normal flu or cough and cold makes me think otherwise. Also all 7 of these people never stepped a foot in hospital and were over it in 3-4 days saying it was maybe just a bit worse than the flu.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 10, 2020 9:16 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:45 pm

I don't think i agree with you on the second part 4liters. All this supposed number fudging from other countries and then me actually knowing 7 people who have had the virus but did not spread it to any of their family members they went home to, or work colleges they were with for at least 3 days before they knew they had it coughing and sneezing just thinking it was the normal flu or cough and cold makes me think otherwise. Also all 7 of these people never stepped a foot in hospital and were over it in 3-4 days saying it was maybe just a bit worse than the flu.
How did they know they had the virus out of interest? Did they get tested? Did the family members get tested as well?

I guess the thing I would point to is the scenes from the US. It doesn't really matter if the numbers have been fudged, the fact that they needed refrigerated trucks to store all the bodies, had to dig new trenches for all the coffins, completely overwhelmed the funeral homes and so on points to the fact that this is very serious for a lot of people even if quite a few have fairly minor symptoms.

You can see those scenes replicated elsewhere too, Italy saw convoys of trucks taking the bodies out of a badly hit town, Brazil is digging mass graves, there's bodies on the streets in Ecuador because the system cannot handle so many people dying in such a short space of time. Ecuador is a good example actually. Their official figures are very small, but that's because of a lack of testing. The real story is being told on the streets and it doesn't matter what the number on a piece of paper says.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun May 10, 2020 9:34 pm

Beware the second wave meant to scare us don’t compare Aus with Brazil or Ecuador were people live in squalor. England Italy high numbers due people live on top of one another same in New York apartment living.
My nephew and two of my sisters in England were tested and were positive for covid 19, nephew works at the airport all recovered.
I understand the need for what Vic has done and have abided with the rules but am getting sick of the scaremongering from the press it’s on all day and totally negative I am glad I don’t suffer from anxiety or I probably would have topped myself listening to the news.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:16 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:45 pm

How did they know they had the virus out of interest? Did they get tested? Did the family members get tested as well?

I guess the thing I would point to is the scenes from the US. It doesn't really matter if the numbers have been fudged, the fact that they needed refrigerated trucks to store all the bodies, had to dig new trenches for all the coffins, completely overwhelmed the funeral homes and so on points to the fact that this is very serious for a lot of people even if quite a few have fairly minor symptoms.

You can see those scenes replicated elsewhere too, Italy saw convoys of trucks taking the bodies out of a badly hit town, Brazil is digging mass graves, there's bodies on the streets in Ecuador because the system cannot handle so many people dying in such a short space of time. Ecuador is a good example actually. Their official figures are very small, but that's because of a lack of testing. The real story is being told on the streets and it doesn't matter what the number on a piece of paper says.
They all got tested and tested positive. They all got it from overseas trips. 6 of them got a call from the WHO and were told where they traveled had cases to they should get tested. The other one was just having flu like symptoms and went and got tested on his own accord.
All family members and work colleges had to get tested and had to self quarantine. They all came back negative.

Most of the countries with a lot of deaths either have a very high number of elderly with underlying illnesses and/or have a very bad health system. I still don't think it's right to compare Aus to them. It's just putting fear into people and also turning people against the Gov. and police because our numbers just don't replicate what is going on overseas.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 10, 2020 10:03 pm

Nude up wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:34 pm
Beware the second wave meant to scare us don’t compare Aus with Brazil or Ecuador were people live in squalor. England Italy high numbers due people live on top of one another same in New York apartment living.
My nephew and two of my sisters in England were tested and were positive for covid 19, nephew works at the airport all recovered.
I understand the need for what Vic has done and have abided with the rules but am getting sick of the scaremongering from the press it’s on all day and totally negative I am glad I don’t suffer from anxiety or I probably would have topped myself listening to the news.
This is exactly it. It would be stupid to disregard it and think everything is okay but there is no need for putting so much fear into people. People calling the cops on their neighbors.. shitting themselves to go and see friends and family.. Scared to go for a walk.. It's ridiculous.

potatoeater
Has liked: 9 times

Post by potatoeater » Sun May 10, 2020 10:09 pm

Nude up wrote:
They say despite our best efforts, history has a tendency to repeat. In 1918, it's fact that the second wave killed a great magnitude more people than the first. That is fact. The same pressures then exist now. Because we didn't have it as bad as Italy, Spain, and the UK, there is a dangerous mix of hubris and arrogance that either "it wasn't that bad at all" or "we're awesome. We got this under control". Both are illusions. The 100 or so idiots protesting today outside parliament house is just the tip of the iceberg.

Just like 100 years ago, if and when the second wave hits, NONE of the people who actively contributed to the discourse that created the pressure that lead to a breakdown in virus control will admit they were wrong . Even if there were to be an explosion of cases from golf clubs, Sam Newman will simply switch conspiracy theories and never admit they were wrong in the first place. Instead, they'll keep peddling stories about how Dan Andrews is a closet Communist and secretly wanted to infect people.

That's why I was so happy 10 of the idiots today outside parliament were arrested. It's just like the anti-vaxers. People who don't ever own the consequences of their actions should not get a say. Maybe every person who wants to break social isolation can - just register their names so that if there is a second outbreak, they're banned from medical services so they can fight the "same as flu" "naturally".

It sucks the pandemic is crushing our economic prosperity and way of life. If you think it's too much. That's fine. Just don't hide when what you ask for comes true. Don't then complain "Dan Andrews was too weak to stand up to XYZ and let the virus in again".

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun May 10, 2020 10:24 pm

Geez some of you worry about the little, rather than the big.
$15,000 to Dan is chicken feed, he earns more than that a week (?)
People are dying, losing their homes
FFS you can't go fishing or have a beer at the pub or go to a restaurant, SO WHAT !!!!
People need to return to work, that's the main thing
Gra

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 10, 2020 10:25 pm

potatoeater wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:09 pm
Nude up wrote:
They say despite our best efforts, history has a tendency to repeat. In 1918, it's fact that the second wave killed a great magnitude more people than the first. That is fact. The same pressures then exist now. Because we didn't have it as bad as Italy, Spain, and the UK, there is a dangerous mix of hubris and arrogance that either "it wasn't that bad at all" or "we're awesome. We got this under control". Both are illusions. The 100 or so idiots protesting today outside parliament house is just the tip of the iceberg.

Just like 100 years ago, if and when the second wave hits, NONE of the people who actively contributed to the discourse that created the pressure that lead to a breakdown in virus control will admit they were wrong . Even if there were to be an explosion of cases from golf clubs, Sam Newman will simply switch conspiracy theories and never admit they were wrong in the first place. Instead, they'll keep peddling stories about how Dan Andrews is a closet Communist and secretly wanted to infect people.

That's why I was so happy 10 of the idiots today outside parliament were arrested. It's just like the anti-vaxers. People who don't ever own the consequences of their actions should not get a say. Maybe every person who wants to break social isolation can - just register their names so that if there is a second outbreak, they're banned from medical services so they can fight the "same as flu" "naturally".

It sucks the pandemic is crushing our economic prosperity and way of life. If you think it's too much. That's fine. Just don't hide when what you ask for comes true. Don't then complain "Dan Andrews was too weak to stand up to XYZ and let the virus in again".
Medicine and our health care system has come a long way in a 100 years..

Return to “General”