When can Victorians expect to go fishing again?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.

When can Victorians expect to go fishing again?

April 2020
7%
May 2020
22%
June 2020
22%
July 2020
10%
August 2020
3%
September 2020
10%
October 2020
7%
November 2020
5%
December 2020
2%
Sometime in 2021
12%

Total votes: 59

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Re: When can Victorians expect to go fishing again?

Post by Stumpjumper » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:09 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:51 am
Stumpjumper wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 pm
There will be sporadic outbreaks no matter what we do. We are now i a position to target specific outbreaks so you don't lock up everyone in Victoria because of an outbreak in Mornington.
Actually this is incorrect. If we have zero new infections over night then that means that we have eliminated the virus, the only way anyone can catch it is if someone from over the border brings it with them. Strict border control will ensure no one in Victoria will get it. The virus needs a host, without one it will die within a couple pf hours
The virus won't 'die' in a few hours because technically it isn't alive. But it can be viable for several days, depending on the surface it is on. You can't possibly believe that the type of idiots that allowed the Ruby Princess fiasco are going to keep a virus out of Victoria or anywhere actually.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Virus or no virus, they'll have to start relaxing restrictions in the next couple of months....apart from the damage it's doing to the economy, people will start going batsh!t-soup crazy pretty soon (I've got 2 young kids who started home schooling today and both my wife and I are working from home...I feel like Jack Nicolson in The Shining)

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:03 pm

I was just reading in the paper that some countries, such as Singapore, started to ease restrictions only to have to bring them back again due a rise in infections after they started going back to normal.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:09 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:03 pm
I was just reading in the paper that some countries, such as Singapore, started to ease restrictions only to have to bring them back again due a rise in infections after they started going back to normal.
Who would've seen that coming?? Not Trump apparently.

Most of these outbreaks started originally from just a couple of individuals bringing it in from overseas, they'll start all over again from just a couple of individuals they are contagious at the time the lockdowns are lifted.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 pm

I can't believe how so many people are cheering this lockdown crap on. The govt in my opinion probably know that lockdown and destruction of the economy and people's lives was not the best move in Australia....but now can't back out because as usual it's become a f...ing media event and they are cheering it on hard. Of course most fans are public servants and aren't sharing the 'Team Australia' pain.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:31 pm

This is the criteria for getting a Covid19 diagnosis in Australia. Unless you're sick enough to require hospitalisation you won't be counted in the official tally (or have been oversea or in contact with a known carrier).

Given the number of asymptomatic cases, or cases that make someone sick but not bad enough to require a trip to hospital our official figures are probably drastically under reporting the actual figure in the community. Hopefully we are tracking all the 'unofficial' suspected corona cases who call the hotline and report all the symptoms but don't meet the criteria because they haven't been in contact with a known carrier. Otherwise there could be quite a lot of community spread that we are not monitoring until someone gets hit hard enough to be sent to the ER.

Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:09 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Stumpjumper wrote:
There will be sporadic outbreaks no matter what we do. We are now i a position to target specific outbreaks so you don't lock up everyone in Victoria because of an outbreak in Mornington.
Actually this is incorrect. If we have zero new infections over night then that means that we have eliminated the virus, the only way anyone can catch it is if someone from over the border brings it with them. Strict border control will ensure no one in Victoria will get it. The virus needs a host, without one it will die within a couple pf hours
The virus won't 'die' in a few hours because technically it isn't alive. But it can be viable for several days, depending on the surface it is on. You can't possibly believe that the type of idiots that allowed the Ruby Princess fiasco are going to keep a virus out of Victoria or anywhere actually.
Hopefully they have learnt from that fiasco. Even if it lives for a few days as long as we have restrictions for a couple of weeks after the last positive case then the virus is gone, it doesn't hover over the earth like a dark cloud
Last edited by Seniorfisho on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mazman
Has liked: 138 times

Post by mazman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 pm
I can't believe how so many people are cheering this lockdown crap on. The govt in my opinion probably know that lockdown and destruction of the economy and people's lives was not the best move in Australia....but now can't back out because as usual it's become a f...ing media event and they are cheering it on hard. Of course most fans are public servants and aren't sharing the 'Team Australia' pain.
Chill out a bit and have a look at the bigger picture.

I absolutely hate not being able to fish and live my life normally, this is now the longest I've gone between fishing trips since before I could drive. It isn't just a hobby but a very major part of my life and it ****** me up a bit when I wasn't able to go and took me a little while to get past some of the stuff going on in my head because of it, combined with job loss and a few other things.

Even with all of those things going on in my world it is pretty easy to accept that the government here have made the right call and done a surprisingly good job of managing the situation, it is still not ideal but you have to remember this is the legislative version of pulling an all nighter to smash out a project. They have given hospitals time to prepare, to train staff, to source equipment, to extend ICU wards and even build new ones. All of those things will save lives, it has reached a stage where there is actually potential for us not to completely saturate the healthcare system and to give everyone the best chance at life possible
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:49 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 pm
Look at what is going on in the US. That is the consequences of leaving the lockdown until too late. Mass graves in a first world country. Overflowing morgues. They're probably going to go through it all over again unless someone tells Trump to pull his head in over his plan to reopen everything by May.

Most non-sociopathic people do not want that and are happy to take a temporary hit to their social lives and recreation in order to avoid it. They probably went a bit overboard in banning activities like hunting, fishing, watersports etc that don't generally involve much social contact but it's a situation where it's better to err on the side of caution.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:54 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Stumpjumper wrote:
Of the currently 260 odd active confirmed cases (I don't buy into the bull fear mongering cumulative 1300 total, that includes people who recovered and subsequently tested negative or unfortunately died over a month ago....) there is likely to be a similar amount if not more out in the community completely unaware they've got it or had it for awhile. Eliminating the virus, in fact any virus without a sufficient proportion of the population being somewhat immune to its issues is a ridiculous fantasy

Return to “General”