Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:51 pm

John Dory wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm
I think legal size should be upped in vic and bag limits looked at also. More people fishing, more fish caught, less fish in the water.
Quick maths.
Yea mate I agree. A lot of the places I used to fish 5+ years ago now don’t produce half as much as I used to catch.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:11 pm

John Dory wrote:
I think legal size should be upped in vic and bag limits looked at also. More people fishing, more fish caught, less fish in the water.
Quick maths.
X2

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:38 pm
John Dory wrote:
Quick maths.
I wouldn't be opposed to that. I don't even bother with flathead unless they are a good 4 or 5cm over their size limit. Can't remember the last time I 'bagged out' or even came close to it either. It's pretty much greed at that point but each to their own.
I could of bagged out on Salmon on the weekend but thought i had enough and went home. Some limits seem over the top to me.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:32 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:51 pm
John Dory wrote:
Quick maths.
Yea mate I agree. A lot of the places I used to fish 5+ years ago now don’t produce half as much as I used to catch.
Mmm less netters equalls more fish...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Sebb
Has liked: 3020 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:38 pm

There isn't enough data and info at the moment of the plan. Perhaps those fish will stay in Vic, grow in numbers and even after 3 years they may not to back to SA. Who knows...
Or potentially, the ones still in SA will grow and breed (what they're hoping I think). Before no snapper left in SA.
3 years is probably a small price to pay for years of sustainable fishing.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:15 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 pm
John Dory wrote:
Quick maths.
The key to the success of snapper numbers is successful recruitment ie good spawning.
This x1,000,000. Do people forget what happened here during the 90s? And then what happened early to mid 2000s? Let's see, you ban a stupidly destructive practice and start cleaning up inflows. Allowing what little biomass remaining to spawn successfully and let the larvae settle almost undisturbed with some protection as they grow rinse and repeat for a few more years as more and more numbers spawn increasing the recruitment three fold and bam! Victoria's Snapper fishery hasn't really looked back give or take for recruitment variances.

Which is why the shellfish bed restoration projects along with other habitat rebuilding and creation projects will do a hell of a lot more for Snapper fishing in this state than just about every single thing ever mentioned or done in the past 20 years

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:34 pm

cobby wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:15 pm
frozenpod wrote:
John Dory wrote:
Quick maths.
The key to the success of snapper numbers is successful recruitment ie good spawning.
This x1,000,000. Do people forget what happened here during the 90s? And then what happened early to mid 2000s? Let's see, you ban a stupidly destructive practice and start cleaning up inflows. Allowing what little biomass remaining to spawn successfully and let the larvae settle almost undisturbed with some protection as they grow rinse and repeat for a few more years as more and more numbers spawn increasing the recruitment three fold and bam! Victoria's Snapper fishery hasn't really looked back give or take for recruitment variances.

Which is why the shellfish bed restoration projects along with other habitat rebuilding and creation projects will do a hell of a lot more for Snapper fishing in this state than just about every single thing ever mentioned or done in the past 20 years
Same with Whiting and to a lesser extent Kingfish

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:35 pm

rb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:34 pm
cobby wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
John Dory wrote:
Quick maths.

Management practices have resulted in a resurgent SBT fishery also

dmck
Has liked: 36 times

Post by dmck » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:45 pm

rb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:35 pm
rb85 wrote:
cobby wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
John Dory wrote:
Quick maths.

I think most SA fishers look at Vic Fisheries management with considerable envy.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:48 pm

dmck wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:45 pm
rb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:35 pm
rb85 wrote:
cobby wrote:
frozenpod wrote:

I think most SA fishers look at Vic Fisheries management with considerable envy.
Sorry for going off topic the management of the SBT fishery is a national effort I believe

Return to “General”