Where did you get your gear when you first started fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Birdman

Re: Where did you get your gear when you first started fishi

Post by Birdman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:38 pm

Kev209 wrote:My fathers original boat rod was made from a fencing foil, had a wooden butt, and porcelain guides. I was told by a collector that rods made from tank Ariel and fencing foils were common in the early days, and if your lucky enough to have one in good condition it's worth big bucks.
Yep, that's the one, even have a couple of aeroplane cod lures with it...
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Purchased my gear from a sports store in Shepparton...Mory's Sports from memory!
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:54 am

Wow I like that question,
ok my first few outfits were the small glass Coke Bottles with nylon line & shiny nickel hooks from Coles Variety store in Smith St, Collingwood.
What silly 6-8 year olds we were ( a group of school friends ), fishing the Yarra or catching the train to Princess and Station Piers.
we believed that the heavier line we used the bigger fish we would catch :rofl:
So often we would be fishing the Yarra in Kew or just below Dights Falls in Abbotsford and some days using 50lb mono/nylon line. Funny thing is that we always would catch a bucket load. It would included Roach ( man I haven't heard of them in a long time ), trout and of course carp and even golden carp/oversize goldfish that we would stock into Collingwood Football Clubs ground keepers house, he had a tiny pond in his front yard.

I don't remember using anything less than 10lb on our Coke bottle hand lines and was mostly 20-50lb.
Ohh we also used to catch and land a crap load of eels. The shiny silver hooks were the go we thought but when we couldn't get any, would use bronzed hooks. we didn't have much faith in them, told you we were silly :doh1:

cheers
tacklenut

Return to “General”