Eden Boating

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ChristianGoneFishing
Has liked: 1 time

Eden Boating

Post by ChristianGoneFishing » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been taking annual trips for land based fishing at Eden on Anzac weekend for more than a decade. The place rarely fails with options of Beach fishing for Salmon and Tailor, fishing from rocks for Kings, Snapper and Bonito, fishing from the navy pier for many species and even Estuary fishing (which I never have done in Eden).

However this year is the first year I now own a boat and I'd like to take it up and give it a go.

My boat is a 5mtr Aluminium with a 75hp 4str Mercury. Importantly its extremely light, I think no more than 8-900kg. As such I really do avoid poor conditions.

My main options appear to be Two Fold Bay and Wonboyn Lake. Before deciding where to base myself for the week, Id like advice from anyone who knows the area.

Obviously Subject to weather, (As I said, I rarely go out in the boat in anything over 10-15 knots)
*Could my boat comfortably handle conditions offshore at Eden? (I would not be going very far out)
*If so, I need to consider crossing the Bar at Wonboyn, is it difficult, can it be done without guidance first up? I assume the aluminium boat makes the potential shallow depth less of an issue and more a matter of taking it easy over the breaks.
*Would Two Fold be the more all round option? Whats fishing like in the Bay and near by not far outside?

April is peak Kings time there, so im obviously keen to chase Kings (finally chase rather than wait on a rock) if weather permits but I also need a fallback option in the event of poor conditions.

Any advice to help me decide where to focus my time there would be much appreciated.

Also any fishing advice like what and where (especially kings) for boating out there would also be great.

Thanks

scott__henning

Re: Eden Boating

Post by scott__henning » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:16 pm

Launch at twofold bay, then you won’t have an issue.

Mowarry point for kings is only a short run around the corner, 5m boat will be no problem on reasonable days.

There are heaps of reefs off each point of the bay as well that is good for pinkies and mowong.

(I used to fish eden out of a 4.5m quintrex quite often)

ChristianGoneFishing

Post by ChristianGoneFishing » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:04 pm

scott__henning wrote:Launch at twofold bay, then you won’t have an issue.

Mowarry point for kings is only a short run around the corner, 5m boat will be no problem on reasonable days.

There are heaps of reefs off each point of the bay as well that is good for pinkies and mowong.

(I used to fish eden out of a 4.5m quintrex quite often)
Thanks that's very helpful and is pretty much what I was thinking but wasn't sure.

What fish enter the bay?
I know pinkies & flatties.

Well there be salmon, Benito or small kings around?

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:29 pm

always a chance of salmon and bonito trolling along the rocky headlands. also over near the chip mill jetty u can pick up kings normally just rats, their a yellow bouy ocean side off the two jettys/chip loaders. alot of the time big schools hang around their

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:37 am

It comes down to your experience and weather
I seen 4.5 - 5 upto 8miles offshore on great days.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:58 am

A few of us that kayak have been eyeing off the area for a while now and the section from Mowarry Pt to Green Cape looks easy enough to access

not sure on the camp ground at Bittangabea Bay yet but the launch from there should be easy enough and with only 8 km north to Mowarry point and 6 south to G/Cape that gives a lot of area to explore and to troll lures or baits

I haven't found a lot of reports of guys kayak fishing the area and I'm sure there must be guys doing it there
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “General”