Do Bream Comps (and others) Encourage Rule Breaking?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Do Bream Comps (and others) Encourage Rule Breaking?

Post by smile0784 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:06 am

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:42 pm
Whiskers wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 pm

The following is cut directly from the new Vic. Recreational Fishing Guide, 2019.

"It is illegal to high-grade your fish
High-grading of fish involves a person who has caught and retained their daily catch limit of legal sized fish, but who then continues to catch more of that species, subsequently discarding the previously caught fish, dead or alive.

Im not sure about Other Comps.
But Most of the Bream Boating Tournaments the Bag Limit is 5 fish, so Not Highgrading as such...
The Kayak Bream Comps are 4 Fish I believe (i could be wrong here)

If you caught it, count it
Fish caught that are retained in live wells, catch-bags, eskies, buckets, any other container or given to someone else count towards your bag limit."
The Bream Tournaments are a 5 fish bag, so as soon as the 6th fish is caught, the smallest fish is released back, this continues till the end of the tournament and is Known as Upgrading. there is only maximum of 5 fish allowed to be weighed. and since the torunament is 2 anglers per team your legally allowed 20 fish on board... nobody actually keeps more than 5 fish in a torunament anyway.

The Tournaments are run very strictly, with boat and fishing licences checked prior to start, and also proof of boat insurance must be shown, if you get caught speeding in 5Knot zones or you get fined by water police you are disqualified instantly.
So.they are encouraging you to break the fishing rules by storing fish and then upgrading them

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:05 am

smile0784 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:06 am
purple5ive wrote:
Whiskers wrote:

The following is cut directly from the new Vic. Recreational Fishing Guide, 2019.

High-grading of fish involves a person who has caught and retained their daily catch limit of legal sized fish, but who then continues to catch more of that species, subsequently discarding the previously caught fish, dead or alive.

But Most of the Bream Boating Tournaments the Bag Limit is 5 fish, so Not Highgrading as such...

Fish caught that are retained in live wells, catch-bags, eskies, buckets, any other container or given to someone else count towards your bag limit."
The Bream Tournaments are a 5 fish bag, so as soon as the 6th fish is caught, the smallest fish is released back, this continues till the end of the tournament and is Known as Upgrading. there is only maximum of 5 fish allowed to be weighed. and since the torunament is 2 anglers per team your legally allowed 20 fish on board... nobody actually keeps more than 5 fish in a torunament anyway.

The Tournaments are run very strictly, with boat and fishing licences checked prior to start, and also proof of boat insurance must be shown, if you get caught speeding in 5Knot zones or you get fined by water police you are disqualified instantly.
So.they are encouraging you to break the fishing rules by storing fish and then upgrading them
The way I read it technically because it wasn’t immediately released yes but the reality is that if the bag limit wasn’t exceeded it would be hard to prove wrong doing unless they were caught in the act.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:18 am

New regulation. I don't recall seeing it before.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:26 am

I prefer to wait for Kimtown's response.

Statement like "nobody catches more than 5" is bull.

Kimmo where are you?

:-))

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:30 am

frozenpod wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:18 am
Me either.

Like to see them try and enforce this one! What's wrong with returning live fish to the water? Does this include undersize fish that are returned? Who even keeps count?

If this is legit then I'm going to just ignore the rules and do what I think is right. If I get caught then I'll pay the fine. The people that police this can sit on the bank and watch me fish all day and video record me for evidence. Sounds like an efficient use of resources.

I'm hoping this is a troll.

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:37 am

skronkman wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:30 am
frozenpod wrote:
Me either.

Like to see them try and enforce this one! What's wrong with returning live fish to the water? Does this include undersize fish that are returned? Who even keeps count?

If this is legit then I'm going to just ignore the rules and do what I think is right. If I get caught then I'll pay the fine. The people that police this can sit on the bank and watch me fish all day and video record me for evidence. Sounds like an efficient use of resources.

I guess it comes down to what wrong with taking under size fish or fish outside a slot limit - whats wrong with using 5 rods instead of 4 ( or 3 instead of 2 in rivers )
or whats wrong with taking more than the bag limit

noting at all if you don't follow the rules - if a the fisheries rule is you don't upgrade dead or alive fish then that is the rule - maybe the beam comps organisers should work on getting the ruling changed instead of have competitors blatantly breaking the rule
skronkman wrote:
If this is legit then I'm going to just ignore the rules and do what I think is right.
I'm sure thats what other rule breakers say when they take under size fish or more than there bag

just my thoughts on the issue
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:38 am

smile0784 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:06 am
purple5ive wrote:
Whiskers wrote:

How ????
Tge way im interpreting this is. Tou need to catch and retain your legal bag limit. And then catch more after that too be termed as high grading..

Bream bag limit is 10. Per person , so that means 20 legal fish as there's 2 people per team.

Bream comp bag limit is 5 per team.

Legally we are 15 fish short of a bag so can keep high grading as far as I know.

These are defenitely new rules and im sure the vic bream series will change rules if needed to comply.
As it is the live wells need to be a minimum of 60l for 5 fish and have some sort of aeration. You can't just rock up with a small esky and start fishing the comp..

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:40 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:37 am
skronkman wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Me either.

I guess it comes down to what wrong with taking under size fish or fish outside a slot limit - whats wrong with using 5 rods instead of 4 ( or 3 instead of 2 in rivers )
or whats wrong with taking more than the bag limit

noting at all if you don't follow the rules - if a the fisheries rule is you don't upgrade dead or alive fish then that is the rule - maybe the beam comps organisers should work on getting the ruling changed instead of have competitors blatantly breaking the rule
skronkman wrote:
If this is legit then I'm going to just ignore the rules and do what I think is right.
I'm sure thats what other rule breakers say when they take under size fish or more than there bag

just my thoughts on the issue
I bet you're a load of fun at parties too.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:18 am

As I read the rules bream comps do not encourage breaking the regs.
For it to be considered high grading the person must have caught and retained their daily limit already. As steve pointed out the boat comps run a daily bag of 5 and the kayak comps 4 (although typically 3 in victorian waters with larger black bream). Both of these are less than the 10 fish daily catch limit for bream.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:24 am

Bringing a fish on board and then releasing or in a live well is considered retained and counts toward your daily bag limit I understand that Vic bream have an exception on up grading as bream can tolerate being kept in a live well better than other species

Return to “Fishing Competitions”