Sea Sherpa North Shore Challenge 28/01/17

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Sea Sherpa North Shore Challenge 28/01/17

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:32 am

just a plug for Victorias first off shore Kayak comp that will be held at Porland on the 27th of Jan 2017

it will be run along the lines of the northern stealth comps Eoin from Sea Sherpa will be running this and entries can be found on https://seasherpa.com.au/blog/
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Sea Sherpa North Shore Challenge 28/01/17

Post by FishnMiss » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks for posting.
I'm not interested in comps personally but may tag along for the fun and meeting some new blokes.
Fishing Portland in good weather is so much fun, so hopefully this day will be good weather.
I've met Eoin (Owen) and he's a top bloke :thumbsup: , so if anyone's interested in going I highly recommend the event and I'm sure there will be other top blokes there too (Like Cheater and maybe even Ian ;-) )
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:49 pm

Anybody know anybody in the comp.
7 teams with 5 people per team..

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:29 pm

bowl wrote:Anybody know anybody in the comp.
7 teams with 5 people per team..

I do but that probably doesn't count -- one team is made up of all South Aussies ( the pie floaters ) - I've fish with a few of them at Pt Fairy and Pt Augusta and one of them tagged along with us to South West Rocks back in April - a couple of them are real keen off shore yak fishos

I know for sure 3 of the other guys in the team with me ( the mud brothers ) and one of them has got 1 small Vic King a week or so ago by kayak

there's a full team of hobie AIs ( the hobie get along gang )but can't use sails there are a couple of these guys that have pulled Bluefin and kings from portland before

I know and have fished with a couple of the guys in ( the dirty faced westies )

as for the rest I'm not sure many come off a couple of the face book sites

I must say Eoin from Sea Sherpa has done well putting this together and I know he has knocked back punters as 35 was the max that the insurance could cover -- I'm looking forward to the event hopefully the weather plays the game and also hope to get some pre fishing in as well
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Well the North shore Challenge has been run and what a top W/E - the main target species were Kings and Tuna but snapper , Gummies and salmon could also be entered at a low point rate

I headed up on Thursday to find Tas ( a team member ) had droped a blue fin after a 40 min fight and them Keiran another member of of Mud Brothers team had pulled a 115 cm bluefin

Friday quite a few of us got out for a prefish just short of the ship anchorage one of my trolled rods buckled back and I heard drag going - the excitement dropped pretty soon no fight just a 75 cm Snook --- Tas hooked up and landed a BF around the size as keirans from the day before
that was the only BF from any of the kayakers on Friday however we saw sh!t load on the surface just sunning them selfs out on Julia reef - for those that dont know the area thats about 14 km off shore from Henty Bay launch --- I know it was a lot of paddle strokes
it seams Shane also pulled a BF I didn't see it but no doubt he did - my day one tally was 31 Km on the paddle others did more

Saturday Comp day 35 kayaks heading in all directions - myself I woke with a headache that seamed to get worse as I headed out - the wind was up a bit I'm guessind a good 10 kts and a front seamed to be building over the head land - the forecast was still safe but not feeling the best I headed in for some panadol and fish on the inner reef for bugger all ---- back out on Julia Gab from South Oz was on and pulled a nice fish around that same 18 -19 kg
the hard luck story goes to Jordo who hooked up and a well over hour fight in which he was towed 5 km at speeds up to 5 kph at times landed the fish and them found he had only an hour to go with 12 or so km to get back -- he paddled flat our for an hour 40 min to collapse on the beach and be to late to enter his fish -- shane also was late back with the biggest fish for the W/E around 22 - 23 kg

so Gab won with the only BF in on time -- no King fish entered and the teams event was won by "all show and no Go" who had a quite a few pinkies between them

Sunday Mal and Myself searched the inner reefs for signs of a King but it was a wasted paddle , while back out on Julia reef Gab hooked up and was smoked - 60 - 70 meters on line like no tomorrow and then busted off a while later hookup and 40 min to see it drop the hook at the kayak and on the way in cast a plastic into a bust up between the ships in the anchorage only to bust off again

it must be said Eoin and his Wife did a great job on this event , it was well organised and some great prises were on offer
I'm sure everyone learnt a bit more on chasing these pelargic fish which is damm hard work

I need to work on my fitness if I'll going to back up 30 km days for a few days in a row
My kayak PBs

Cheater

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:58 am

My kayak PBs

Cheater

FishnMiss

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:38 am

From what I read from Thursday (with Kieran's Tuna hookup) to the end it sounded like an awesome event.
I'm hoping to be able to make it next year for NSC'18 :-D
I'm still (Stirring :o_0: ) sticking to my guns and say you need more skill to fish from a yak than a boat :tongue:

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:35 am

FishnMiss wrote:From what I read from Thursday (with Kieran's Tuna hookup) to the end it sounded like an awesome event.
I'm hoping to be able to make it next year for NSC'18 :-D
I'm still (Stirring :o_0: ) sticking to my guns and say you need more skill to fish from a yak than a boat :tongue:
it was a great event and if you can try for next years event -- a word of advice get your match fitness up , most fish were caught out on julia reef a 2 hour paddle each way in a quick kayak
backing up 30 + km days becomes hard work quickly

different skills needed to boat any big fish on a kayak
My kayak PBs

Cheater

FishnMiss

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Yep I agree with match fitness.
I go to gym 3 times a week & jog 5-6 days a week.
I try fish once a week. Hoping to hit WP again after trying PPB last weekend.
Personally I think WP is Waaay better than PPB.
Yep planning to be at Portland next year.
I was there last year with Ian, yourself, Shane, Lobo & the boys.
I'm trying to get points to go down late Feb early March with a mate for a weekend for some Kingies :thumbsup:

Return to “Fishing Competitions”