Tea Tree 2017

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Tea Tree 2017

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:57 am

Entries are up for Tea Tree I just got mine in the post - it will be run on Friday the 28th and Saturday the 29th

Entries can be done on line at http://www.teatreesnapper.org.au

it looks the same format as other years again a good prize pool $140,000 worth inculding 3 boats

I will be doing it again by kayak and no doubt Winchbitch ( Mal ) will be in again as well to collect prizes again as he dose every year

So watch out for a pair of speed bumps sitting on Westernport hunting Reds if your out and about on the comp
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Tea Tree 2017

Post by 4liters » Thu May 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Heard a rumour that it might not be going ahead this year due to lack of volunteers. Anyone else heard anything​ about this?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 pm

4liters wrote:Heard a rumour that it might not be going ahead this year due to lack of volunteers. Anyone else heard anything​ about this?
That would be somewhat devastating...

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 pm

CarlG wrote:
4liters wrote:Heard a rumour that it might not be going ahead this year due to lack of volunteers. Anyone else heard anything​ about this?
why??? its a f@rking slaughter fest anyway.
but something like thats thats been run for so long will always have a way to continue, someone will step in and sponsor them for sure.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 pm

purple5ive wrote:
CarlG wrote:
but something like thats thats been run for so long will always have a way to continue, someone will step in and sponsor them for sure.
I've heard loads of stories of floating fish etc, we normally do a lot of k's on westernport, never seen a single floater on the day of the comp.
We try and get our normal bag, so can't see what the fuss is.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:05 am

Never entered the Ti Tree was considering doing it this year time permitting. Don't think the competition impacts snapper numbers too much compared to the rest of the season.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri May 19, 2017 5:09 am

purple5ive wrote:
CarlG wrote:
Why do you say it is a slaughter fest?

The rules clearly state that an angler can only weigh in 2 fish per day, so that is a total of 4 fish per angler.

The daily bag limit is 10 snapper under 40 or 7 under and 3 over.

There might be 2,000 anglers registered for the comp, not all will weigh in 4 fish. Last year the average catch rate was 0.8 fish per angler.

So the massive slaughter of snapper caused by the tea tree fishing comp was 1,200 fish or 0.8 fish per angler over 2 days.

On any given day during snapper season, there can be thousands of boats on the water (I don't think anyone has ever really done a tally, so it would be interesting)

Assuming that there are 10,000 anglers fishing for snapper and 2,000 anglers catch their bag limit, that is 20,000 snapper on non-fishing comp days, over a 10 day period that is 200,000 snapper.

So it is clear that the Tea Tree rather than being the slaughter of snapper as some would have us believe, the average catch during the Tea Tree is rather minuscule when compared to ordinary fishing days during the snapper season.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri May 19, 2017 5:15 am

The average catch rate per angler for the Tea Tree fishing comp.

2016 0.8 snapper per angler
2015 0.893 snapper per angler
2014 1.035 snapper per angler

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 19, 2017 9:09 am

Im guessing you not taking into account the amount of throwbacks to upgrade are you??
Ive seen enough proof online for me to believe what i said.
i have not however personally seen it, as i avoid those days on the bay due to it being very busy.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri May 19, 2017 9:59 am

purple5ive wrote:Im guessing you not taking into account the amount of throwbacks to upgrade are you??
Ive seen enough proof online for me to believe what i said.
i have not however personally seen it, as i avoid those days on the bay due to it being very busy.
Throwbacks??

Up grades???

Some anglers practice catch and release, some will continue fishing once they got their bag limit and release all subsequent catches.

Where is the evidence that people who throwbacks to upgrade are actually registered anglers fishing the Tea Tree comp?

I have seen floaters in the bay, when there are no fishing comps being run.

Lets consider that an angler catches 3 over 40 cm, and look at the average catch rate for the Tea Tree of being less than ONE fish per angler for the last three years and anglers can only weigh in TWO fish each.

Sure if I was targetting a 10kilo snapper, I'd be practicing catch and release hoping for the magic number to come up.

Apparently one night at blackrock there were a number of floaters at the boat ramp, as fisheries were inspecting boats and catches and this wasn;t during the tea tree.

Return to “Fishing Competitions”