Tea Tree 2017

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Tea Tree 2017

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 am

One day at the end of Frankston pier, I must of caught between 40-60 pinkies and I kept throwing them all back hoping for an upgrade to the legal size.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 19, 2017 10:21 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Im guessing you not taking into account the amount of throwbacks to upgrade are you??
Ive seen enough proof online for me to believe what i said.
i have not however personally seen it, as i avoid those days on the bay due to it being very busy.
Throwbacks??

Up grades???

Some anglers practice catch and release, some will continue fishing once they got their bag limit and release all subsequent catches.

Where is the evidence that people who throwbacks to upgrade are actually registered anglers fishing the Tea Tree comp?

I have seen floaters in the bay, when there are no fishing comps being run.

Lets consider that an angler catches 3 over 40 cm, and look at the average catch rate for the Tea Tree of being less than ONE fish per angler for the last three years and anglers can only weigh in TWO fish each.

Sure if I was targetting a 10kilo snapper, I'd be practicing catch and release hoping for the magic number to come up.

Apparently one night at blackrock there were a number of floaters at the boat ramp, as fisheries were inspecting boats and catches and this wasn;t during the tea tree.
look we can go on about this all day...

but not to detract this thread from what it is i will just agree to disagree.
statistics require quite a lot of input, which is something tea tree organisers alone cannot get right.
catching and releasing straight away isnt an issue most of the time, its when you keep the fish and hope for an upgrade and it comes too late, thats when theres a problem. and prize winning fish just dont jump on your line one aftre the other like pinkies do

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 am

Any fishing competition should be taken for what it is. It's designed to promote our fantastic sport - get a good bunch of people together to interact and have some real fun doing things that we enjoy. It stimulates the local economy. We cannot anticipate that each and every person will do the right thing but the majority that love our sport have respect for it (fishing) and the fish, and will harvest what they need and well below bag limits. A comp like this is all about having fun.....

Joe

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri May 19, 2017 12:08 pm

100%be entering for first time.
Decky or no decky.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 19, 2017 12:17 pm

bowl wrote:100%be entering for first time.
Decky or no decky.
Im sure a decky wont be hard to find for such an event. :thumbsup:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri May 19, 2017 2:46 pm

It's no where near as bad as it once was. Wheelie bins with any size snapper you wanted dumped after the presentation at Mornington park anyone? Haven't had interest in the comp after I seen that (a good 10+ years ago).

The floaters are less of an issue with better understanding now than years ago. Those actively targeting the biggest fish have less issues with upgrades by only keeping the genuinely big fish and releasing unwanted fish promptly. Not to mention the lack of depth they're generally fishing in

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri May 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Im planning on entering this year, talk about it every year, and dont, then usually go out and get ok fish (only 4-6kg, but still worth entering for a mystery prize) have a bigger boat this year so will probably do an all nighter and give it a crack

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 pm

It's a good opportunity to get out and have fun with mates. Will ask around and see what friends are keen to enter see if we can win one of them a boat.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 pm

It's no more of a slaughterfest than any other day during snapper season, probably less so if anything. Think about it... the anglers know the rules and would keep 2, then work on that trophy fish as the third to fill their bag, and be on the water for the duration of the comp. Any other day those same anglers may be out twice a day, dawn and dusk. "Floaters" are something two-headed dilusional greenies pump up to make our sport, and this comp, look bad. About time people realised this.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Redhunter wrote:It's no more of a slaughterfest than any other day during snapper season, probably less so if anything. Think about it... the anglers know the rules and would keep 2, then work on that trophy fish as the third to fill their bag, and be on the water for the duration of the comp. Any other day those same anglers may be out twice a day, dawn and dusk. "Floaters" are something two-headed dilusional greenies pump up to make our sport, and this comp, look bad. About time people realised this.
I fish almost every weekend of the year, all year round. I have never seen a floater and have been out off mordialloc on ti tree sat morning for the last 5 years. I personally dont think it is as bad as some people seem to make it out to be.

Return to “Fishing Competitions”