Next years species comp

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Next years species comp

Post by DougieK » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:11 am

Hi all.

Unless someone else is desperate to put their hand up to keep score for next years species comp i'm happy to run it again.

I had an idea taken out of a martial arts teams comp i want your feedback on. The length of each species becomes irrelevant other than who gets the biggest one. Longest fish in each species gets 9 points, second gets 3 points, third gets 1. This gives a total possible score of 180 points for species lengths. A bonus 10 points is awarded for putting up a score of all 10 saltwater species and another bonus of 10 for all 10 fresh water species. I'm not saying this is what i want to do, just that it's an option.

I'm just looking for ideas to try and keep it interesting. What do you guys think? How do you feel this years comp has gone / is going. Do you want less species? Do you want less time?

I'm trying to create a discussion, give me ideas for the next year to keep it interesting and hopefully get some more peeps jumping in.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Next years species comp

Post by Scraglor » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:17 am

That would be a good way you could add different species without having to worry about balancing fresh ad salt with species that grow to similar lengths. Etc.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:21 am

Sounds complicated. If I have the biggest Redfin and 9 points then someone lands a bigger one months down the track will b hard to stay on top of everyone's scores..

Team comps are something we did at my club a few years ago, 4 to a team (2 fresh 2 salt) and target different waters gives guys a chance to learn new tactics on new and unfamiliar grounds. Weighing in not all but only the biggest target fish from each team..
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:33 am

With a points system like that I think you'd be unfairly punishing the guys who spend the time to go out and catch every species.

If we were to use this years Leaderboard. At a glance you have basti leading. He has caught 18/20 fish and is a clear 1.5m or so ahead of me. But I'd be damn near equal to or beating him with that kind of points system.

It depends what the intention is. To get people out chasing a species for maximum length or to not bother because they doubt they are going to get the points in return when a couple of monsters have already been caught.

I'm easy with whatever happens I just don't see it adding anyone to the Comp. Some people see it as a **** measuring contest and wouldn't compete regardless.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm interested in keeping it interesting. I want to inspire different approaches and different tactics. Gav it's as easy as adding another line to the spreadsheet, not a hard gig at all.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:39 pm

Agree with ducky. I like it how it is (not that I am even competing) but it's always good to see who is catching and upgrading! It'd be hard to find the inspiration to chase a horse if there's a big model to beat.
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:50 pm

What's the current rules?

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:56 pm

LBG Season 2023/4 :

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Here's an idea.

With the 20% donated to fishing Victoria as we did this year on an entry fee of $25 thats $5 donated to the forum per person.

Yearly vip membership is $5

Connect the dots. Entering the species Comp gets you your annual vip membership. Hopefully that would get a few more people interested.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:31 pm

/\ nice suggestion, but most of the people participating are already a member, unless it pays towards their future membership.

i personally think a shorter timeframe will entice more people to take part.
i didnt do it this time partly for that reason.

also its a handicap for the landbased guys when the boaties can chase the bigger and easier targetable species in a watercraft of some sort.

maybe as another suggestion, have montly meetups or something likewise and have bonus points for biggest fish caught at the meet or somethign along those lines.

Return to “Fishing Competitions”