Next years species comp

Mike_M

Re: Next years species comp

Post by Mike_M » Fri May 27, 2016 5:19 pm

If thinking of capping, why not cap all species at 1m maximum?

And on the topic of dropping species because not many people are targetting them, then surely leaving them in does not disadvantage anyone? Reducing the list of possible species or more likely to discourage rather than encourage more entrants.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri May 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Why cap them? Why not adjust the score so that an exceptional fish earns a high score regardless of its actual length. For example a 50cm whiting should be worth more than a 50cm snapper, and a 1m mulloway should earn more points than a 1m gummy.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri May 27, 2016 7:32 pm

4liters wrote:Why cap them? Why not adjust the score so that an exceptional fish earns a high score regardless of its actual length. For example a 50cm whiting should be worth more than a 50cm snapper, and a 1m mulloway should earn more points than a 1m gummy.
that's only necessary if there is an unlimited (or very large) number of species in the comp, with a limit species pool it is just a waste of time and effort to adjust scores
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri May 27, 2016 7:37 pm

Yeah I agree with Maz.

im easy whether we cap it or not. But if I catch a 20kg gummy there's no chance Id be putting it on a mat.

mazman

Post by mazman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:52 pm

With the end of this years comp fast coming to an end I think it's time to look at the structure for next years comp again.
So far raised points that seem to have traction are
-solo, pair and team entry
-Kingfish as a new species with a length minus 60 handicap (or capped at 60)
-Gummy sharks as a new species with every legally gummy being worth 45 points (only one entry per team/entrant)
-reduction of freshwater species

Personally I like the idea of running the comp in the same format as this years with the addition of king fish and gummy sharks and team entry for up to 3 per team. I however feel that all freshwater species should remain in the competition as each species poses a unique challenge (particularly when looking for trophy sizes) and as shown by ducky aren't necessary to lead the pack but do challenge anglers targeting them,

Cheers Alex

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:22 pm

Maybe Dougie or whoever is running the next comp should make a poll with a few options of how it will run? I don't really mind although it would be good to change it up a bit for something different. I like the idea of changing some species and competing in pairs/teams.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:09 pm

mazman wrote:With the end of this years comp fast coming to an end I think it's time to look at the structure for next years comp again.
-Gummy sharks as a new species with every legally gummy being worth 45 points (only one entry per team/entrant)

Personally I like the idea of running the comp in the same format as this years with the addition of king fish and gummy sharks and team entry for up to 3 per team. I however feel that all freshwater species should remain in the competition as each species poses a unique challenge (particularly when looking for trophy sizes) and as shown by ducky aren't necessary to lead the pack but do challenge anglers targeting them,

Cheers Alex

Hell yeah. I'm keen for all that. We discussed months ago that the team put in the same entry fee per member. Eg a team of 2 would pay $25ea and an individual would pay $25 for their entry.

I actually reckon that would be the best year yet.

mazman

Post by mazman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:19 pm

ducky wrote:
mazman wrote:With the end of this years comp fast coming to an end I think it's time to look at the structure for next years comp again.

Cheers Alex

Hell yeah. I'm keen for all that. We discussed months ago that the team put in the same entry fee per member. Eg a team of 2 would pay $25ea and an individual would pay $25 for their entry.

I actually reckon that would be the best year yet.
I agree payment should be on a per person basis

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:32 pm

Has the idea of weekend comps come up?.. paid entry's prizes bbq..

I like the one you guys have going and enjoy watching results but its not something id go in as i have a commitment fear...lol
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:09 pm

chris seafarer wrote:Has the idea of weekend comps come up?.. paid entry's prizes bbq..
It's too hard to organise short term comps and meetups to be honest. You'll get 25 people respond yes then 3 show up. Same with the species comp, 30-40 people want in, then you get 14 entries.

I've read all this and will think about it this week. Not sure much needs to change at all. I like the idea of small teams and I like the idea of a couple of new species.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Fishing Competitions”