Next years species comp

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Next years species comp

Post by ducky » Thu May 26, 2016 7:40 pm

That's not a bad idea Steve. Cap it at min length you mean?

Cod should be full length though. Gummies and kingies capped if they are entered?

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Thu May 26, 2016 8:31 pm

why have cod not capped? but kingys and gummies.
seems to be more of a land base fishing challange than a all over fishing challange

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Thu May 26, 2016 8:33 pm

not having a go or tryin to start a fight just curious

ducky

Post by ducky » Thu May 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Because kingies are mostly accessible to boat based people and can grow to a metre easily. Thus ruling out half the competitors.

Gummies can be targeted by boat, kayak and landbased guys easily. But can grow huge! Plus big ones are commonly released and they are a handful in the boat so measurements would be a nightmare.

As for cod. If you crack a metre cod you deserve every cm in my opinion. Cod also accessable to all anglers. In some instances you're best off in a yak

The idea is to get as many people involved as possible. Having cod capped and gummies/kingies in the comp benefits me in a big way because we chase gummies all the time but I don't want to benefit myself. I want to see as many people competing as possible.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu May 26, 2016 9:42 pm

as much as its a pain to fish for a few of those species, i'd like to see them stay. this is supposed to represent a large variety of fishing styles and targetting roach takes a whole heap of skill; something i wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise.

these fish do no harm to the comp by being included, if anglers don't want to fish for them, they don't have to. As your current score shows, a fisho can be perfectly competitive with a few large specimens of the more desirable fish.

thoughts of including banjos? perfect saltwater equivalent to carp imo, similar sized, pita bycatch. :-D

ducky

Post by ducky » Thu May 26, 2016 9:59 pm

Yeah fair enough basti. I must admit today I picked up a few coarse floats and some maggots. Gonna give this roach fishing a crack.

Hell we may aswell make it 30 species lol

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu May 26, 2016 11:05 pm

ducky wrote:That's not a bad idea Steve. Cap it at min length you mean?

Cod should be full length though. Gummies and kingies capped if they are entered?
that's a great idea and I feel the same re cod not being capped. also what length would you cap gummies to the 45 partial or whatever a 45 partial comes out as for full length (as a round number)
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 27, 2016 9:06 am

yeah i meant capped at legal minimum length. that way if you catch a 10cm cod, gummy or kingie, you can still enter it, but if you catch a big one, its entered at minimum legal length.
that way you dont have to take a pic on brag mat for the big fish, just a pic with the code worrd somewhere in there and it automatically gets minimum legal length. and also encourgaes people to target somethign different and still be able to add to the score.
with the gummies go with how the fisheries measure it, legal partial length, but if its a monster you only get 45cm (legal length)
cheers

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri May 27, 2016 9:21 am

So if I catch 2 meter gummy I will only get 45 cm score.? So my lb Geelong 60 cm schnapper would outscore a 2 meter gummy...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Fri May 27, 2016 2:56 pm

ducky wrote:.................................................................................................................................................................................

The idea is to get as many people involved as possible...........................................................
I have been hesitant to comment as I have not participated prior, however I will comment as to why I haven't bothered! Apart from the fact I would do no good! Jokes aside, I did consider it last season...having a go at the freshwater section anyway. The thing that put me off apart from the fact that I have limited mobility and am thundering towards a nervous breakdown was the list of freshwater species.
Murray Cod,...Yep, not a problem.
Yellow Belly,...as above.
Brown Trout,...as above
Rainbow Trout,...stocked in local lake but better ones within reach in an hours drive...no prob!
Redfin,...apparently!
Short Finned Eel,...have not encountered these north of the divide where I am.
Bass,...as above, although rumour has it one was landed here a couple weeks ago...possibility of me finding him are slim!
Roach,...likely within an hours drive, possibly closer but have never encountered them here.
River Blackfish...yep but north of divide a lot smaller than their southern rivals.
Carp...f**k yeah!
So, have I got the time and $$$$ to travel a couple hours or more to target the 'southern' species no! Do I have the time and $$$$ to travel 2 1/2 hrs plus to chase salt species?...no!

Of the people who entered this year, how many live north of the divide? Me thinks not that many. I do wonder if the list of freshwater fish may really work against us notherners. Feel free to ignore what I ( a non entrant) have said if you choose. If the freshwater list was reduced it may still not make much difference to numbers entered. I know for sure regardless of what happens this next comp I won't be entering...personal reasons rather than conditions of the comp. On saying that, not sure if it has been decided yet but how long will this one run for? Same time again? May start a fitness program for the following one after this one...it would be fun and a great challenge.
cheers
Jim

Return to “Fishing Competitions”