good place to target whiting landbased

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

good place to target whiting landbased

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:26 am

so fellas ive never caught a whiting before.
im going to try for them this weekend alogn with my cousin.
whats a good place for begginers to start off with. we can travel so thats no problem.
anywheer from brighton to portsea and wpb is fine
we are located in frankston

cheers

queen fish

Re: good place to target whiting landbased

Post by queen fish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:16 am

I know a few good places

queen fish

Post by queen fish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:18 am

Try st leonards or werribee or williamstown

queen fish

Post by queen fish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 am

Maybe others who are looking at this site may suggest a few places instead of keeping quiet and just looking to find spots themselves, after all we are all here to share not to be selfish and all enjoy the fishing that is on offer, I know people don't like to tell fishing spots but my belief is we should all have a chanch to get a feed of fish. so come on guys tell some spots don't be shy or selfish share a few, as the saying goes there are plenty of fish out in the sea. :thumbsup: :water:

Lost Pom

Post by Lost Pom » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:01 am

Anywhere you find sand next to weedbeds, you'll find whiting. If you're based in Frankston I'd be basing your efforts anywhere from mount martha and south thereof in PPB. Pippies, squid and if you can get your hands on it, cuttlefish works well also.

Not sure where in particular you could fish WPB landbased but Somers / Balnarring would seem the obvious choices given the shallow reef there.

queen fish

Post by queen fish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:05 am

Lost pom I thank you for you help nice to know there is a Genltman who is willing to share there spots. I do have a question for you cullefish bait what and where to find it. I find the pippies are great for whitting.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 am

AHH YES I FORGOT ABOUT SECRET SPOTS.
dont wory fellas dont have to give your spots away, just give me a rough idea on location and iil try.
sand and weedspots you say, how do i tell where they as ive never actually looked for anything like that before.

thanks for the help so far i will try along the places suggested first

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:55 am

Polarized sunnies, will help locate those spots.
Head across to Merricks or Balnarring beach of an evening and try there, you'll probably be surprised what you get.

Lost Pom

Post by Lost Pom » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:11 am

As Brett says, plarised sunnies work best to be able to detect the reef. I'd take a punt on Balnarring also.

To help you spot the difference in sand, tak ea drive along the esplanade - if you drive along mount martha beach or safety beach, not the colour of the water - the light crystally blue is all sand bottom. If you then stop somewhere along mount martha rocks, you'll notice darker green patches (ranging from small bed sized reef all the way through to half a football oval size) - this is the reef. Fish as close to this as you can and use a bomb style sinker as if you do get snagged, the bomb will pull through better than a star sinker, for example.

Balnarring would be a good place to practice though as there is a big range of fish there - hence brett's 'surprise' statement. It will probably pay to have a bigger rod out with a pillie or some squid on as you may hook into pretty much anything - teeth or otherewise.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 am

ah yes im no stranger to bigger fish, although ballnarring was a fail for me but was just trying something different
snapper and whiting i have never caught before, pinkies yes but still undersized so its still a NO for snapper, whiting
thought i stop chasing the bigge fish and do something different for once.
i will give these spots a crack when i get the chance on the weekend..
brett its been a while champ, i see your a moderator and all, if your still scratching your head im the one who met up with you a few times for the elphant run

cheers

Return to “Whiting Fishing”