good place to target whiting landbased

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: good place to target whiting landbased

Post by Scraglor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:00 pm

I reckon whiting are one fish thats def easier to target from a boat. If you are ever down Portland way, I have found casting into the bay side from the breakwall to be pretty reliable.

Im excited because the last couple of years march/april have been my best months on the ting off Hastings.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Scraglor wrote:I reckon whiting are one fish thats def easier to target from a boat. If you are ever down Portland way, I have found casting into the bay side from the breakwall to be pretty reliable.

Im excited because the last couple of years march/april have been my best months on the ting off Hastings.
looks like i have found my whiting saviour lolllll..
yeah i was landbased then mate, i still remeber that day 16 hours flat fished overnight and into the morning.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:13 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Weedle wrote:i think MsShamano is worst off
LOLLL yeah both her and yepimon, lets hope the whiting talk gets them going onto their first whiting. :thumbsup:
Haha give me a break mate.... I've caught two.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:26 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Weedle wrote:i think MsShamano is worst off
LOLLL yeah both her and yepimon, lets hope the whiting talk gets them going onto their first whiting. :thumbsup:
Could think of nothing worse than listening to the self indulgent self promoting there's no early fish Kramer and Tackleworld cronies.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:33 pm

spotted small whiting at brighton today

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:33 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Scraglor wrote:I reckon whiting are one fish thats def easier to target from a boat. If you are ever down Portland way, I have found casting into the bay side from the breakwall to be pretty reliable.

yeah i was landbased then mate, i still remeber that day 16 hours flat fished overnight and into the morning.
There not hard to catch, I could probably take you to a spot 5mins from my house and catch a few, if you really wanted to. Morning or evening, into dark is the best time.
Considering I was using 12ft surf rods and 30lb line, they really aren't that fussy :o_0:

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Brett wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

There not hard to catch, I could probably take you to a spot 5mins from my house and catch a few, if you really wanted to. Morning or evening, into dark is the best time.
Considering I was using 12ft surf rods and 30lb line, they really aren't that fussy :o_0:
They arent. I typically use 14-20lb leader, I prefer frozen pippies over fresh, as they are easier to open, and use a paternoster rig, which everyone tells me is wrong. Yet I catch a lot of fish. If they're there, you will get them, the key is finding them.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 pm

I got my best haul of landbased whiting at Portarlington casting out towards the artificial reefs.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:35 pm

Mate, lucky for you summer time is an active time for whiting all over. For beginners that wants guarantee whiting, barwon heads is a fantastic option. Fish on the little jetty closer to the mouth of the river. Running sinker is rig of choice and pippies for bait are dynamite however i caught just as many on chicken breast strips. Only small strips as thin as an earthworm and about an inch long will tempt them. Also in the mix you will always land good size mullet and bay trout and ocasional silver trevaly. The whiting there may not be fat but they will be sized in length, the fat ones are over at queens cliff harbour and they eat chicken breast strips there too but you also get silver trevalys and pinkies in the 40cm range. Goodluck, i have photos to prove but dont know how to upload properly haha

Izzy94

Post by Izzy94 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:47 am

Hey everyone I know it’s a really old post but I’m really interested in kgw what are good areas to chase kgw at this time of year

Return to “Whiting Fishing”