Hook size for Whiting

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Hook size for Whiting

Post by ducky » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:20 pm

Funnily enough I hunted down, with great pain the exact mustad hooks Dennis raved about (was out of stock nation wide for quite some time) and have now had a quiet giggle to find he has moved on from them.

But yeah. Kl1/0's or the Mustad long shanks. If memory serves it was size 4.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:01 pm

Sneaky1 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:07 am
Thanks Denis, I'm a passive fisho with bait (ie bait rod is secondary while I flick SP's) so suicides are the go - might just stick with the 1/0 KL, think they'll even be large enough for pinkies and flatties as by-catch.
I’ve hooked up to 3x 4-4.5kg snapper at once with KL 1/0 hooks and landed all three. Also brought in 4-5kg gummies. I wouldn’t use them to target fish like that, but if you’re fishing in deep water for whiting where there is a good chance of running into big fish, then I like them.

I also use 4-5000 size reels and 20-30lb leader when fishing deep in case you get something unexpected. It probably accounts for half a dozen each of snapper and gummies a season I wasn’t expecting or targeting

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:22 pm

Scraglor wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:01 pm
Sneaky1 wrote:
Thanks Denis, I'm a passive fisho with bait (ie bait rod is secondary while I flick SP's) so suicides are the go - might just stick with the 1/0 KL, think they'll even be large enough for pinkies and flatties as by-catch.
I’ve hooked up to 3x 4-4.5kg snapper at once with KL 1/0 hooks and landed all three. Also brought in 4-5kg gummies. I wouldn’t use them to target fish like that, but if you’re fishing in deep water for whiting where there is a good chance of running into big fish, then I like them.

I also use 4-5000 size reels and 20-30lb leader when fishing deep in case you get something unexpected. It probably accounts for half a dozen each of snapper and gummies a season I wasn’t expecting or targeting
i caught a 4.5 kilo gummy on a size 6 mustad whiting hook. You can catch big fish on smaller hooks you just have to take your time.

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Sneaky1 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:48 pm

Scraglor wrote:
Sneaky1 wrote:

Are Whiting turned off by thicker leaders? I usually make paternosters from 20lb mono leader anyway - lesser line seems to tangle, esp once attacked by Pinkies rigs from 12lb are a mess.

I'm very "unlucky" with Whiting - among all species, maybe I just can't find them? :oo:

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:53 am

Sneaky1 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:48 pm
Scraglor wrote:
Sneaky1 wrote:

Are Whiting turned off by thicker leaders? I usually make paternosters from 20lb mono leader anyway - lesser line seems to tangle, esp once attacked by Pinkies rigs from 12lb are a mess.

I'm very "unlucky" with Whiting - among all species, maybe I just can't find them? :oo:
I use 20lb fluoro for whiting in deep water. We catch plenty on that

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:44 am

I've always been a fan of the Black Magic KL 1/0 hooks, great success of whiting, but you'll also pick your flatties, pinkies, etc when used as a sleeper.
I try to stick around that ~10lb fluro for these kind of rigs, light enough, but strong.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”