HOT BITE, 40 Whiting!! With a Snapper thrown in too.

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

HOT BITE, 40 Whiting!! With a Snapper thrown in too.

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 pm

G'day everyone,

Haven't posted a report in awhile now.. well tbh, i haven't been doing too much fishing. I got bored of the Reds, yes... bored. Been working away and other bits. However, i have gotten out three times over the last week and done alright. Very keen on the Whiting, as you're all about to read...

25th Nov:
Headed out to find the Ting. Tried all new spots and it definitely paid off. But the fish still weren't the greatest size. A bag is a bag tho, a very tasty one at that.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-h82cvCpwpN1.jpg
27th Nov:
4am start on the 25th, thinking it would be a good idea for a gummy. I had my mate, Jayden on board. We sat through the first 3 hours of tide for not much at all, activity was a little low, but still the odd rubbish fish and hits here and there. Just as i was about to call it and hit the whiting BAM, rod twizzles and buckles. But it wasn't the gummy i was expecting... turns out the red fish don't want to leave me alone. I passed it off to Jayden and he fought the battler. He's heart was in his mouth! First ever Snapper!! Was just as awesome watching it, as it would've been reeling it in. Not a big one but 3.7kg for a first Red he wasn't complaining.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-SlffJCrchEKirRSP.jpg
Off we went to hit the Whiting. Headed back to the marks from the last session, but a different tide. Still came up with the goods, and also missed a few. 15 Whiting, slowly getting bigger. Pretty ace day. Also plenty of sambos mucking around, and a nice calamari which jayden caught on a metal jig..... i know, weird.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-rFinaeAc2gnAJhoZ.jpg
30th Nov:
Today was going to be the day i stepped it up a little. After my first couple whiting trips of the season, learning where they are and how they're behaving i really wanted to kill it this time. I had jayden on board again, and another mate from work, Riley. Headed to the spit, and again... tried NEW spots. The first spot, one whiting. Move. Second spot, Trevally and that was all. Move. Third spot... 9 Whiting all good size in about 5 minutes, and a few missed opportunities. Bite shut down, and we moved again about 50m with the tide. Anchored a bit deeper this time in 10m and straight away a 44cm. Followed by a few more good ones. Stayed in that spot until we had 16 fish. Then i made the decision to hit up the marks from the above reports ^. Found a couple here and there, but very slow. I was so confused and struggling to figure it out. It wasn't until Jayden pulled up the burley pot to find it had all fallen out.... NO WONDER. Luckily we had some more pilchards on board which we again cut into cubes, and also smashed up pippi shells. All was not lost. I again made the decision to try another new spot, and im bloody glad i did. Burley down, traps set and it was on. Non stop action for 40 minutes. And much better quality fish. We were plucking them out like no tomorrow. They were so fired up they even continued to bite when the water stopped running. We ended up with a double bag of 40 very nice fish! , and releasing about 10 others. Probably the most insane whiting session i've had. Was a great morning, and we are all eating well for awhile!!! On the way back in we hit my gummy hole with the fresh salmon and trevally we caught. First 30 minutes, Buckle run. I picked up the rod (a little too soon i think.) and handed it to Riley. I was very confused because my thoughts were a gummy straight up... but its behaviour was very odd. It stopped the runs and headshakes were very minimal. It was also swimming up into the current towards the boat. With no fault of hes own, just like that, bam. it was gone. It hadn't hooked up properly, and that explains it. The bugger didn't even know it was hooked! There was a fair bit of weight behind it too and Riley stayed tight the whole time. **** happens. Couldn't expect too much more though could i..... :a_goodjob:
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-sAb0oOncXma.jpg
Cheers guys. :water:
Last edited by STriplett1997 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cantcatchem

Re: HOT Whiting sessions. With a Snapper thrown in too.

Post by cantcatchem » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Amazing session, well done

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: HOT BITE, 40 Whiting!! With a Snapper thrown in too.

Post by bowl » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Def killed it.
Nicely done...
Nice flathead there as well.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

jewel90

Post by jewel90 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Unbelievable mate. Well done

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:44 pm

I'd love to be able to find schools of whiting like that consistently. I'm probably doing something wrong but they always seem to be patchy on the eastern side of wp.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:21 pm

Well done Sam great work.

STriplett1997

Re: HOT Whiting sessions. With a Snapper thrown in too.

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:36 pm

cantcatchem wrote:Amazing session, well done
Thanks mate

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:37 pm

bowl wrote:Def killed it.
Nicely done...
Nice flathead there as well.
Cheers mate. Yeah there’s a few worth keeping in amongst the little guys

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:37 pm

jewel90 wrote:Unbelievable mate. Well done
Appreciate it bud! Was great

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Kimtown wrote:I'd love to be able to find schools of whiting like that consistently. I'm probably doing something wrong but they always seem to be patchy on the eastern side of wp.

Gotta start fishing north arm more then mate. Loaded with them more than not

Return to “Whiting Fishing”