Whiting Hooks

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Whiting Hooks

Post by Scraglor » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:52 pm

I used to use Gamakatsu sz6 long shanks, but in the last year or two have switched over to circles. I predominantly fish with the rods in the holders, so the circles probably suit me better. Having said that my Dad has started using the Gama Shiners and really likes them. All of the well known hooks catch fish, I think it mainly comes down to trying them all out and using the ones that suit you best.

TBH, I typically target the bigger whiting and they seem to totally smash baits, I have gotten them on 5/0 circles. Some good fish getting around at the moment, been getting them around the 48cm mark over the last few days. None over the magic 50cm yet - hopefully tomorrow morning :P

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Good luck mate

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Scraglor wrote:I used to use Gamakatsu sz6 long shanks, but in the last year or two have switched over to circles. I predominantly fish with the rods in the holders, so the circles probably suit me better. Having said that my Dad has started using the Gama Shiners and really likes them. All of the well known hooks catch fish, I think it mainly comes down to trying them all out and using the ones that suit you best.

TBH, I typically target the bigger whiting and they seem to totally smash baits, I have gotten them on 5/0 circles. Some good fish getting around at the moment, been getting them around the 48cm mark over the last few days. None over the magic 50cm yet - hopefully tomorrow morning :P
48cm is a ripper, well done. My biggest so far this season is 47. Are you fishing top or bottom of WP? Guessing deeper marks?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm

Scraglor wrote:I used to use Gamakatsu sz6 long shanks, but in the last year or two have switched over to circles. I predominantly fish with the rods in the holders, so the circles probably suit me better. Having said that my Dad has started using the Gama Shiners and really likes them. All of the well known hooks catch fish, I think it mainly comes down to trying them all out and using the ones that suit you best.

48 cm are already massive ones mate. Good luck tomorrow! I hope you crack that magic 50 cm mark :thumbsup:

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:50 pm

Thanks fellas. Will try some different ones tomorrow.

I’m heading out from Stony Point In the morning. How about you guys?

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:51 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:

48cm is a ripper, well done. My biggest so far this season is 47. Are you fishing top or bottom of WP? Guessing deeper marks?
Hey mate, yeah, they were thumpers. Got a few at 48cm, they get really fat at that size. also got a heap from 40 - 47cm too. All really good fish.

And yes, I target whiting a lot deeper than most. About 14mtrs. Usually move around the north arm snapper marks until I find them. Its not conventional whiting fishing, but once you have a few bags of 40-45cm under your belt its hard to go back to the schoolies.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Scraglor wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:

Hey mate, yeah, they were thumpers. Got a few at 48cm, they get really fat at that size. also got a heap from 40 - 47cm too. All really good fish.

And yes, I target whiting a lot deeper than most. About 14mtrs. Usually move around the north arm snapper marks until I find them. Its not conventional whiting fishing, but once you have a few bags of 40-45cm under your belt its hard to go back to the schoolies.
Fair play mate. Schoolies are a pain in the arse but still
Fun if you just want a nice day out. I had a session early In The week where I bagged out but with 8 over 41, three that were 45, 45 and 46 but the rest were your 35cms size and that was in shallow down spit in 6.6m. I want to target them on the snapper marks but I’ve inly successfully done it at slack water and start of tides at joes island for some good quality ones. What sort of gear are you running for deep water Whiting? To hold bottom and all.. finding it hard to wrap my head around it

Cheers!

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:29 pm

yepi'mon wrote:Thanks fellas. Will try some different ones tomorrow.

I’m heading out from yaringa, not sure whether to do Whiting again or gummies or both!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Do both

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:42 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:Thanks fellas. Will try some different ones tomorrow.

I’m heading out from yaringa, not sure whether to do Whiting again or gummies or both!
You already smashed the Whiting’s so why not go for the gummies? :P

Return to “Whiting Fishing”