Whiting Hooks

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Whiting Hooks

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 pm

yepi'mon wrote:Had another good day out yesterday on using the shiners. No lost fish this time.

Had one rod out with a tradition long shank but could not get a bite on it.
Because shiners are the winner

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm

bowl wrote:Been using kl1 n owner shiners , hook rate is good ...but takes a bit of fun out of kgw whiting fishing ,when the kgw hook themselves in the rod holders...
Only on really calm days need to slowly move that bait.

Might be more fun to hook em with a long shank, but when you have a red hot bite going i'd be looking to capitalise and make hay whilst the sun shines. In my opinion its what makes the difference between catching 10 fish or 20 fish. Its even more fun when you can't keep a bait in the water for more than 2 seconds. Don't want to miss fish or spook the school by pulling hooks. 9/10 times with a Gamakatsu Shiner or KL, they won't come off once hooked. :thumbsup:

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:48 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Scraglor wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
shazdoggg wrote:Black magic KL are great but make sure you snell them to increase your hook up ratio! ;-)
How does this help?
By telling him a way to present them to increase his hookup rate?
I meant how does Snelling the hook help with hook ups as opposed to a standard uni knot or similar?
By snelling the hook, the line lays straight to the hook. If you use a conventional uni knot or blood knot, the knot can slide around the eye of the hook resulting in worse hook set(IMO).

On hooks like octopus circles which have a bent eye, snelling makes a world of difference to keep the line running straight through.

http://www.hagstone.net/snelling.html

At the end of the day, do what works for you! Pro longliners who use circles almost exclusively snell their hooks and these are people who catch fish for a living.

http://www.fishing.sh/htmfiles/hookrepo ... lling.html

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:02 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
bowl wrote:Been using kl1 n owner shiners , hook rate is good ...but takes a bit of fun out of kgw whiting fishing ,when the kgw hook themselves in the rod holders...

Might be more fun to hook em with a long shank, but when you have a red hot bite going i'd be looking to capitalise and make hay whilst the sun shines. In my opinion its what makes the difference between catching 10 fish or 20 fish. Its even more fun when you can't keep a bait in the water for more than 2 seconds. Don't want to miss fish or spook the school by pulling hooks. 9/10 times with a Gamakatsu Shiner or KL, they won't come off once hooked. :thumbsup:
100% agree

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:34 pm

Scraglor wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:

100% agree
Any hot sessions on the Ting recently? Mine stopped after December finished. Haven’t bothered targeting them since tbh

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:40 pm

Super shallow in the dark with cloud cover.

Probably to many toothy things or baits with tentacles hanging around for their liking

Return to “Whiting Fishing”