Whiting Hooks

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Re: Whiting Hooks

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:43 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:Up to you what you prefer. Seems some here like the KL’s yet I hate them. I always used long shanks and did well but now I use the Gamakatsu shiner and I’ve bagged out twice the last 2 weeks, I think they’re great
Yeah I’m curious to whether or not the majority saying KL’s are in comparison to a long shank or not?

I think I’ll give the shiners another go as I keep hearing good things. I’ll rig up some KL’s and long shanks as well for “testing”

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:44 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:Up to you what you prefer. Seems some here like the KL’s yet I hate them. I always used long shanks and did well but now I use the Gamakatsu shiner and I’ve bagged out twice the last 2 weeks, I think they’re great
Are you using a paternoster rig or a typical one hook rig?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:59 pm

KL's are the best if the whiting are hitting the baits straight up. I find my hook up rate with long shank hooks are better when the fish are just nipping at the bait. but for a corner of the mouth hook up every time you cant go past the KL's. Just don't strike..

Cheers, Anth

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:13 pm

For me the biggest difference between isn't the hook up rate so much, but the fact that those darn long shank hooks tend to get stuck further down the throat and harder to get out, where as the KL hooks hook em better in the mouth

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:34 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Are you using a paternoster rig or a typical one hook rig?

running sinker

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:09 pm

Generally a circle/shiner hook will be better if you want to be efficient and catch a bag or more fish than usual. The minute you drop a fish, say goodbye to the whole school unless the burley brings them back. Long shanks tend to drop more fish in my opinion but I still like them. Shiner my #1

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Also, make sure you have the shiner or KL hook presented on an angle. I like to tie a loop like you would for a sinker dropper, and just thread it on through the front of the hook so it is presented in a curled shape. Helps hook up rate

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi boys.....all hooks mentioned work...i have used them all with success but always go back to my long shank baitholder No.6... i find the whiting will hook themselves when biting hard or when nibbling i can strike them...cheers and Merry Christmas to all....

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Mustad fine worm #4

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Daiichi Longshank 6's in either Bronze or Red.
Also the Mutsu Circle 1/0 which is the same as Black Magic KL but it is in the Black Nickel finish which is much better for corrosion issues
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

Return to “Whiting Fishing”