Anyone coming to the whiting talk?

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
MsShimano

Anyone coming to the whiting talk?

Post by MsShimano » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Anyone going to the whiting talk at Mornington Mazda next Wednesday night?
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Anyone coming to the whiting talk?

Post by purple5ive » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:11 pm

im thinking about it, maybe yepimon should come as well lolll
wooly this is down our end
maybe a fishvic crew can make an appearance

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:14 pm

purple5ive wrote:im thinking about it, maybe yepimon should come as well lolll
wooly this is down our end
maybe a fishvic crew can make an appearance
Sounds good! Be great to meet some members! I am definantly going as I need all the whiting advice I can get!!
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 pm

I haven't made up my mind yet; the only reason I would attend is to hear what Greg Jenkins has to say and to see if I have any interest in the specials they are apparently offering.

I went last year and was offended hearing Steve Johnson (Ace Fishing Charters) say that on his boats he always puts his catch into an ice slurry.

Not having a boat I had been out with Ace a few times in the months preceding and not once was there a slurry provided, even on a day of 35C+.

It wasn't Steve skippering however, perhaps Tom doesn't follow Ace's SOP's.

I haven't managed to find a charter that does use a slurry so I no longer use them; I hate not having my fish in the best condition possible.
Cheers,
Neil

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:20 pm

nmgar wrote:I haven't made up my mind yet; the only reason I would attend is to hear what Greg Jenkins has to say and to see if I have any interest in the specials they are apparently offering.

I went last year and was offended hearing Steve Johnson (Ace Fishing Charters) say that on his boats he always puts his catch into an ice slurry.

Not having a boat I had been out with Ace a few times in the months preceding and not once was there a slurry provided, even on a day of 35C+.

I haven't managed to find a charter that does use a slurry so I no longer use them; I hate not having my fish in the best condition possible.
I can't say I've been on charters to know what they do. I figured they would put the fish into a iced esky right away. Excuse my ignorance but what is a ice slurry? Just a esky with water and ice?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 pm

MsShimano wrote:
nmgar wrote:I haven't made up my mind yet; the only reason I would attend is to hear what Greg Jenkins has to say and to see if I have any interest in the specials they are apparently offering.

I can't say I've been on charters to know what they do. I figured they would put the fish into a iced esky right away. Excuse my ignorance but what is a ice slurry? Just a esky with water and ice?
why dont you take your own esky mate with some ice in it.

and yes ice slurry is just that, ice and water (usually salt water from the sea)

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:29 pm

purple5ive wrote:
MsShimano wrote:

and yes ice slurry is just that, ice and water (usually salt water from the sea)
I took along bags of ice to put in their bin so everybody on board could benefit; that went over like a lead balloon; another time I took along a small cooler with ice in just for me. That was received equally poorly. I think they were not happy being shown best practice.

Slurry is 50% seawater, 50% ice.
Cheers,
Neil

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:40 pm

nmgar wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
MsShimano wrote:

I took along bags of ice to put in their bin so everybody on board could benefit; that went over like a lead balloon; another time I took along a small cooler with ice in just for me. That was received equally poorly. I think they were not happy being shown best practice.

Slurry is 50% seawater, 50% ice.
That's crazy... I have never heard ofcharters not having ice...

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:10 pm

MsShimano wrote: That's crazy... I have never heard ofcharters not having ice...
At least once I know they had ice on board in another cooler but they didn't put it in to the cooler with the fish. They just put some seawater in which they added to a few times. The fish at the end of 6 hours were partly cooked.
Cheers,
Neil

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:13 pm

nmgar wrote:
MsShimano wrote: That's crazy... I have never heard ofcharters not having ice...
At least once I know they had ice on board in another cooler but they didn't put it in to the cooler with the fish. They just put some seawater in which they added to a few times. The fish at the end of 6 hours were partly cooked.
That is crazy. Guess they just have no regard for other people's fish.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”