Anyone coming to the whiting talk?

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Anyone coming to the whiting talk?

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:53 am

MsShimano wrote:
purple5ive wrote:so how was it?? how many ended up going to it.
was Ash Wednesday and i had to go to Church so couldnt go to the talk.
was there anything of interest discussed?
It was okay. At least 200 people. I won the raffle prize for some bushy rod and a ryobi reel.. a nice whiting net, whiting fillet knife and some whiting rigs. Not bad for $5 ticket purchase. I also picked up a Daiwa crest for my other whiting rod... yes I know Daiwa!!! I didn't learn as much as I thought because basically they talked about things I already knew.. not bad turn out.
Ok so the usual stuff about keep moving every 20 min if no bites, burley , burley, burley loll. not that im a whiting expert, but its usually the question and answers that give me some more info or the chance to have a chat to them one on one and ask questions you specifically wanted to know about. aka - for me it would have all been related to lure fishing for whiting.
congrats on the raffle prize, never used a daiwa crest but lets hope its as good as some of the others they make

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:09 am

purple5ive wrote:
MsShimano wrote:
purple5ive wrote:so how was it?? how many ended up going to it.
was Ash Wednesday and i had to go to Church so couldnt go to the talk.
was there anything of interest discussed?
It was okay. At least 200 people. I won the raffle prize for some bushy rod and a ryobi reel.. a nice whiting net, whiting fillet knife and some whiting rigs. Not bad for $5 ticket purchase. I also picked up a Daiwa crest for my other whiting rod... yes I know Daiwa!!! I didn't learn as much as I thought because basically they talked about things I already knew.. not bad turn out.
Ok so the usual stuff about keep moving every 20 min if no bites, burley , burley, burley loll. not that im a whiting expert, but its usually the question and answers that give me some more info or the chance to have a chat to them one on one and ask questions you specifically wanted to know about. aka - for me it would have all been related to lure fishing for whiting.
congrats on the raffle prize, never used a daiwa crest but lets hope its as good as some of the others they make
Yep the usual stuff. Steve Johnson from ace charters said that you shouldn't Burley up unless your catching the whiting. You should wait 20 mins and if you get a whiting then berley up. Otherwise you are attracting all the crap fish.. yet Shaun from think big charters said to Burley up right away.. just a lot of advice from the panel. Some said no beads some live by the beads. Some said shiners and long shank are better some prefer circle .. just need to find what works right for you.
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:50 am

MsShimano wrote:
Yep the usual stuff. Steve Johnson from ace charters said that you shouldn't Burley up unless your catching the whiting. You should wait 20 mins and if you get a whiting then berley up. Otherwise you are attracting all the crap fish.. yet Shaun from think big charters said to Burley up right away.. just a lot of advice from the panel. Some said no beads some live by the beads. Some said shiners and long shank are better some prefer circle .. just need to find what works right for you.
I would listen to Shaun (Fruits) good guy and knows his stuff. If you need a charter get a tuition session with him. Lot's to learn from him.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:01 pm

Kadmium wrote:
MsShimano wrote:
I would listen to Shaun (Fruits) good guy and knows his stuff. If you need a charter get a tuition session with him. Lot's to learn from him.

Thanks for the advice. I've already booked with him.
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Was there anything said about Fisheries' annual KGW recruitment survey?

2014 and 2015 were both poor years (next two years fishing predicted to be difficult), 2013 was strong which is showing up this season. With the strong SW winds last winter I am hoping for a strong recruitment level.
Cheers,
Neil

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:56 pm

nmgar wrote:Was there anything said about Fisheries' annual KGW recruitment survey?

2014 and 2015 were both poor years (next two years fishing predicted to be difficult), 2013 was strong which is showing up this season. With the strong SW winds last winter I am hoping for a strong recruitment level.
Yes what Greg said was that the next few months will be the best months to chase that big KGW before they leave the bay. In WP and PPB the whiting are estimated to be 3-4 years old and not older. If you want, I have a link for the whole talk. Just message me and I'll put you on to it :)

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:02 pm

MsShimano wrote:
nmgar wrote:Was there anything said about Fisheries' annual KGW recruitment survey?

Yes what Greg said was that the next few months will be the best months to chase that big KGW before they leave the bay. In WP and PPB the whiting are estimated to be 3-4 years old and not older. If you want, I have a link for the whole talk. Just message me and I'll put you on to it :)
Thanks, I would appreciate the link.
Cheers,
Neil

Return to “Whiting Fishing”